10/03/2016

When malice blinds virtue...


When people of authority [ab]use power for spiteful intentions that tramples human dignity, virtue must rise up to trump malice.


















#EveryWoman: Her vagina is made of steel
By Ana P. Santos, Rappler
October 2, 2016

This is what happens when you look between a woman’s legs. Only a fool would be surprised to find that she has a backbone.

I was the woman in the sex video.

You hoped a sex video would shame me. You thought it would humiliate me. You were certain it would silence me. (READ: Alvarez: OK to show De Lima's alleged sex tape in House probe).

You judged my performance and sneered at my imperfections. At my most exposed, you ridiculed me.

I could have been beautiful. I could have been voluptuous and sensual. I could have been young.

You would still have found a reason to vilify me. Others would have still heckled and jeered as you added more vile names to call me. You would still have found the same sadistic glee in harassing me.

Because what you really feel is fear.

It scares you that a woman can love and make love just as you do and like it just as much as you do.

You call for truth and justice when what you want is revenge. You want to punish a woman for her sexuality when what you really want to do is destroy her spirit, her spunk, and her sense of power over herself and her actions. (READ: Lady lawmakers oppose showing of 'De Lima' video in House probe)

Yes, I was the woman in the video.

By now, thousands of other women online have made the same claim.

We have all been that women in a sex video – put on display, our body used to debase us, our character dismissed, our intellect discredited.

Enough. Today we demand it stops. Today we say NO to slut-shaming of women every where. (READ: #EveryWoman: No to slut-shaming in Philippine Congress)

This is what happens when you try to slut shame a woman, she will stand up and fight. She will rise and others – compelled by their own decency and conscience – will rise with her.

This is what happens when you look between a woman’s legs. Only a fool would be surprised to find that she has a backbone.

This is what happens when you try to strip a woman of her dignity and reduce her to mere body parts. You will feel the full force of her mind and her body. You will discover that her vagina is made of steel. – Rappler.com